Skip to main content

Not black enough?

Yes, you read the title right. Well. what do I mean by "not black enough"?


One thing that I found interesting about what people say about me, is that I don't come across as a "black" person or I sound like "a white person". I find it very amusing when I hear this. First of all what does it mean to be "black". It seems as though there is some kind of criteria or expectation for "blackness" which is why people assume I behave differently.

Also when people make this comment, they assume it is compliment. As if I don't act like "the rest of them".

I know that I am a black female and I am proud of it and the way God has created me. But I am an individual who doesn't live a life I'm supposed to based on the colour of my skin but according to the word of God (1Peter 2:9).



I am not my hair by India Arie


Honestly, comments such as those do not faze me or make me feel any type of way. Why? WELL India Arie said it best, "I am not my hair, I am not this skin, I am not your expectations... I am the soul that lives with in". We always judge the outward appearance, but my physical features mean nothing compared to what lies within my heart, soul and mind. True beauty comes from within. So if you didn't know that before, now you do.


I can only speak for the black community but I am aware that this is common in other cultures. But it is wrong to make people feel outcasted because they speak in a different way compared to how a "black" person should speak. Instead of focusing on your outward appearance, you should take a deeper look into who you are as a person, because it is your inner person that speaks more volumes than your appearance. For example, when you see an attractive man or woman, you assume that they are amazing based on what you see on the outside, but when you actually get to know the person, you'll realise that the looks meant nothing and you begin to despise them because their inner person is ugly.



Love,

Keziah


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you being manipulated?

In life we will inevitably create relationships with others; whether through family ties, friendships or romantic partners. These relationships will have a big impact on your life, it can determine your future and your well-being. As you have seen the title, you can assume that I am going to talk about manipulation and my experience of it. The purpose of this post is to bring about an awareness of what manipulation is and whether you are being manipulated... or whether you are the manipulator.  My interest in this issue peaked when I watched a YouTube video on manipulation. The video pointed out,  "10 signs you are being manipulated". After watching the video, it was at that moment that I realised I was being manipulated. I wanted to present this matter to whoever is reading this because I was honestly a little bit worried after watching the video as I had almost experienced all the signs that were mentioned. I will include the link to the video so that you can watch

Social Media and Mental Health

why I think social media is toxic... Social media has become a normal part of most of our lives. At times, it even feels as though we are incapable of functioning without using social media for a day. social media: the drug we cannot live without? For some if they don't post something, it is as though it never really happened. I have come to the realisation, that people tend to compare themselves to others. This could be in appearance, life status or concerning how many followers and likes one receives on their photos. I once saw a quote that said, "Comparison is the thief of joy" and I felt that... hard.  Why is it that we compare ourselves to others? stop comparing yourself to others Social media becomes toxic when people start worrying about the amount of likes on their picture. One day I was hanging out with someone, and they showed me their Instagram and began to cry over the fact that they did not receive enough likes on the